The Milady Maker NFT collection that surpassed the initial plans of its creators has gathered a close-knit community of fans of the Japanese subculture, albeit with the prominent ambiguous views of one of the authors of the collection. What is its appeal to the market? Why has the NFT collection been showing strong sales in recent weeks?
The Milady Maker NFT collection is shrouded in controversy, criticism, popularity and frantic sales. When it appeared in August 2021 with a minting price of $150, no one could have imagined that 2 years later it would be one of the most discussed controversial projects on the NFT market. And sales of more than $135 million to date are proof of this.
Did you know that even Elon Musk himself published a Milady Maker NFT? What about the Nazi and homophobic statements of the project co-founder? We will surprise you even more: the project has no roadmap, idea, official Twitter accounts, privileges for owners, and the founders of the project raise big questions. Many people think that Milady Maker is a scam. Read about it in our review below and see video review.
Milady Maker Official Links
- Official site https://miladymaker.net
- Twitter @MiladyMaker – over 30k subscribers;
- Discord @milady – over 11k members.
What is Milady Maker?
Milady Maker is an NFT collection of 10,000 profile images (PFPs) on the Ethereum blockchain with the ERC-721 token standard. All images are created in a unique artistic style inspired by Tokyo Chibi. NFTs quickly became quite popular meme profile images, resulting in the collection’s floor price rising to a record 3.54 ETH after the initial sale.
Despite its innocent imagery, the NFT collection has been the subject of controversy due to conspiracy theories and slurs shared by the creator of Remilia and the project, also known as Charlotte Fang, Charlie Fang, or Charlemagne.
Milady Maker in numbers
- The initial sale of the NFT collection started in August 2021 at a minting price of 0.05 ETH.
- The total volume of secondary sales exceeded 83k ETH (more than $140 million at the current exchange rate).
- The floor price is 2 ETH ($3,300), which is 40 times more than the minting price.
- Average sales range from 2 ETH to 4 ETH.
- #7489 sold on May 10, 2023 for 30 ETH (about $55k at the time of sale).
- A total of 3,477 unique holders (36%).
- Only about 1% of the NFT collection (138 pieces out of 10,000) are for sale, among them the offers range from 2 ETH to 70 ETH. This shows that almost all holders see the project as a great investment prospect and are not in a hurry to part with their assets at a lower price.
Data (including exchange rates) are given at the time of publication (September 29, 2023)
Milady Maker types and attributes
There are 5 character types in the NFT collection, which are taken from Tokyo’s largest subculture communities:
That said, each Milady NFT is assigned a Drip Grade, a kind of rating scale for the character’s outfit from the highest to the lowest point (Normal (A), B, C, D, S, SS). This grading system helps classify the overall visual appeal and quality of individual Milady NFTs.
Who created Milady Maker?
The creators of the NFT collection are:
- Sprite Bonkler @Milady_Sonoro,
- Charlotte Fang @charlottefang77, who was responsible for the design of the Milady NFT clothing.
Charlotte Fang is the subject of public discussion and criticism. The designer retweets posts that are ambiguously received by the community:
remilio is conquering the 3rd dimension, milady providing support from the 4th🤍 pic.twitter.com/i40PwELeew
— Adoni ♡☆ (@Adoniverse) April 19, 2023
Charlotte Fang has also been criticized on several occasions for allegedly despising homosexuality and calling it a disease, comparing black people to monkeys, and stating that anyone can save the country by killing Jews. Such accusations were made after a series of tweets and retweets on Twitter that were subsequently deleted, and Charlotte Fang said it was a joke.
In addition to this, there are also quite controversial statements among prominent members of the community:
Why is Milady Maker popular?
The Milady Maker project is popular not only in the Asian NFT market, but also worldwide, as evidenced by the floor price of the collection and the interest of the community. And here’s why:
- The popularity of the project in the Japanese NFT market was primarily influenced by the relationship of the collection to the subcultures of Tokyo, as the style of the characters is similar to the style of youth national subcultures.
- The development of the project beyond the original plan that was revealed before the collection was even released. This produced a surge of interest in the collection from the global NFT market.
- The items from this NFT collection can be set as profile pictures, as the tokens are a kind of meme “girls.” They have become popular among fans of the digital meme metaculture, most notably among the influencers of Japanese Ethereum collections on Twitter, which has generated another wave of interest in the project from the community.
- There’s also no denying the fact that the NFT collection has gained such popularity in a notorious way. For example, the collection has a rating scale with the highest SS rating. Some users felt that in this way the creators of the project ingrained some Nazi elements into the project. And in an additional collection That B.I.T.C.H. users noticed the word “Treblinka”, the name of one of the death camps in Europe during World War II. All these accusations of the use of Nazi motifs only promoted the online hype around the project.
Milady Maker Idea
Milady Maker NFTs were originally created to customize resource layers in Live2D, which would later be used in VRtube, as well as an avatar on one of the MineCraft servers. Now Milady NFT can be used as a mask on Hologram by connecting a wallet with the desired NFT.
Moreover, the collection was developed with a bias towards the subculture communities in Tokyo, aiming at bringing the lifestyle of Japanese society into the virtual environment.
Milady Maker Roadmap
The NFT project does not have a roadmap. The team announces the upcoming events on its social media.
Milady Maker Ecosystem
Milady Maker ecosystem includes the following:
- Online store of branded products,
- Milady Raves event,
- Additional NFT collections:
- Pixelade Maker,
- Milady, That B.I.T.C.H.,
- Redacted Remilio Babies,
- Banners NFTs.
Bootleg merch store
Bootleg merch store is an online store of branded project products, from cosmetics to clothing. The amount of merch is constantly changing, many items are sold out, and the minimum price starts from $1.
Milady Raves are special events for the community that take place in warehouses in New York, Tokyo, and London.
Pixelady Maker is a secondary collection of 10,000 NFTs released in September 2022. It has the same attributes as the main collection. However, in this case, all the characters are in pixel form.
- In the secondary market, the trading volume is more than 1.6k ETH.
- Floor price is 0.07 ETH.
- The most expensive NFT is Pixelady #3379, and it sold for 4 ETH.
Milady, That B.I.T.C.H.
Milady, That B.I.T.C.H. is the second additional collection released in September 2021. Each Milady’s t-shirt has the words of each letter of the acronym B.I.T.C.H. picked out.
- A total of 3,333 editions are scheduled for release, with only 321 tokens on the market as of this writing.
- Secondary market trading volume is over 260 ETH.
- Floor price is 0.45 ETH.
- The most expensive NFT is Brain Impossible Treblinka Cheddar Milady, and it sold for 5 ETH.
Redacted Remilio Babies
Redacted Remilio Babies is the third additional collection of 10,000 NFTs. The collection features stylized younger characters with added attributes and new backgrounds in a schizophrenic aesthetic.
We are #REMILIONAIRES. The motto of this collection
- Total secondary trading volume exceeds 19k ETH.
- Floor price is over 0.4 ETH.
- The most expensive NFT is Remilio 7108, and it sold for 20 ETH.
Banners NFT is a collection of NFT banners with a bias towards memes. It’s made in the style of the first banners on the Internet.
- Total 2000 NFTs.
- The total trading volume on the secondary markets is more than 600 ETH.
- Floor price is 0.13 ETH.
- The most expensive NFT is Banner #678, and it sold for 2 ETH.
Latest news about Milady Maker
There is always a lot of controversy, riddles, criticism and hype around this NFT project. Of course, all this is fueled by various news feeds, which in this section we will tell you in chronological order. For a more in-depth study of news reports, follow the links where we cover each event in detail.
The tweet of Elon Musk boosted Milady Maker sales
In May 2023, billionaire CEO and Twitter owner Elon Musk posted a tweet meme with an image of a Milady NFT and the caption “There is no mem. I love you.” As a result, the value of the token skyrocketed, with sales jumping up to 500% in the last 24 hours. And in actual terms, the increase was from 3.8 ETH to 7.8 ETH per token. As a result of just one tweet, 600 NFTs went to their owners in just one hour, and the amount of sales totaled $6.9 million.
Milady Maker transfers NFTs from Ethereum to Bitcoin via Bridge
In June 2023, Milady Maker has partnered with Ordinals Market as well as with Xverse Bitcoin wallet to launch a mechanism called Ordinals Bridge. Holders of Milady Maker can now move their tokens into the Bitcoin network from Ethereum. That is, instead of Milady Maker, the holder receives a Bitcoin Miladys token in the new, specially developed standard BRC-721E.
Developer exploits Milady Maker NFT collection, stealing $1M in fees
In September 2023, the NFT collection has fallen victim to a significant exploit, resulting in the diversion of approximately $1 million in fees generated from Remilia Corporation. The attacker didn’t stop at diverting fees; they also targeted the project’s code bases and made an attempt to take control of Remilia’s social media accounts. This resulted in the takeover of three X accounts, including Miladymaker and Remilionaire, while Remiliacorp was locked out.
How much do Milady Maker NFTs cost?
In August 2021, Milady Maker was released with a minting price of 0.05 ETH. In the same month, the collection began to be traded on secondary markets, where there was a great demand for it. And how are things now?
To visualize the price dynamics, we made a slice of the average price for 1 NFT:
- In December 2021: 1.2 ETH;
- In March 2022: 0.43 ETH;
- In July 2022: 0.9 ETH;
- In November 2022: 0.45 ETH;
- In February 2023: 1.3 ETH;
- In May 2023: 3.5 ETH.
As of September 29, 2023, the floor price is 2 ETH, which is 40 times the minting price. On average, recent sales are in the 2-4 ETH range. And total secondary sales exceed 83k ETH (over $140 million so far).
The Most Expensive Sales of Milady Maker
The most expensive sales are led by the following NFTs from the Milady Maker collection:
- #2804 sold on July 7, 2022 for 17 ETH (about $21k at the time of sale);
- #2832 sold on March 13, 2022 for 15 ETH (about $38k at the time of sale);
- #5930 sold on March 13, 2022 for 15 ETH (about $38k at the time of sale);
- #1966 sold on May 19, 2022 for 15 ETH (about $30k at the time of sale).
Where to buy Milady Maker?
Currently, Milady Maker can only be purchased on the secondary market, on marketplaces such as:
How to buy Milady Maker?
- Remember that initially you need to connect your crypto wallet with self-storage to the marketplace of your choice.
- Next, find the official collection using the search bar on the marketplace.
- Analyze and choose the NFT you want to buy; click on it and then on the “Buy” button.
- Or you can bet on the token you like. Make sure you leave enough ETH for gas or transaction fees. If the seller approves your bid, the deal goes through.
Should you invest in Milady Maker?
There are several reasons due to which the collection can be treated positively:
- The floor price is currently 40 times the minting price;
- Exciting IRL events for NFT owners;
- Community involvement due to the focus on Japan’s youth subculture, which is popular around the world;
- The hype surrounding scandalous creator Charlotte Fang keeps the project in a constant media spotlight.
In any case, do your own in-depth analysis and research when investing in NFTs, and then make your own decision.
Opinion of NFTmetria
Milady Maker is quite an ambitious project with a focus on the Japanese youth subculture. The project has developed much further than it was originally intended. Instead of implementing it as an avatar on one of the MineCraft servers, Milady Maker released several additional collections, launched an online store of branded clothing, and developed IRL events. This has brought tremendous engagement not only from fans of Japanese culture, but also from influencers.
In the future, the project will probably only gain crowds of fans through the release of other additional collections, despite the fact that both one of the creators and the project as a whole have been accused of Nazi elements.