It would seem that the NFT community is already hard to be surprised by anything. But the market got a real shock when a collection of creepy digital zombies called DeadFellaz from the DeadFellaz duo was launched in August 2021. Since then, the project team has continued to build on its success by developing the metaverse, new NFTs, partnerships, and more. Among the owners of zombie tokens there are such stars as Gary Vee, Lionel Richie, Elijah Wood, Steve Aoki, Reese Witherspoon and others.
As a result, strange characters has grossed over $51 million on the secondary market as of February 2023 and has earned the love of many crypto enthusiasts. So what’s the reason for such rabid popularity? Who’s behind the DeadFellaz project and what are its prospects? You’ll find out about this and more in today’s review.
DeadFellaz Official Links
- Official site https://www.deadfellaz.io
- Twitter @Deadfellaz – over 138k readers,
- Discord @deadfellaz – over 20k participants,
- Instagram @deadfellaz – over 29k subscribers.
What is DeadFellaz?
DeadFellaz (DFZ) is an NFT collection of 10,000 Ethereum-based zombie-themed digital tokens. Currently, there are more than 6.5k holders, who are known in the cryptocurrency community under the common name “horde”. The generation of DeadFellaz NFTs occurred randomly from 300 unique traits.
Numerous horror and zombie films served as a powerful source of inspiration for the creation of the collection. The aesthetic design of the DeadFellaz tokens is also influenced by the gaming culture, music, and clothing of the 1990s. The result of this synthesis is a collection of small genderless zombies.
The DeadFellaz NFTs are bright green zombies. Their features include bloodstains, scars, and bared teeth; some of them wear hats and dress up in fancy outfits. The characters’ eyes are strikingly diverse. They can be white or yellow, with or without pupils; there are also NFT-zombies with closed “leaky” eyes.
DeadFellaz in numbers
- Collection of 10,000 tokens was minted in August 2021.
- The project is ranked 58th among the best collections in terms of sales of all time on the largest NFT marketplace OpenSea.
- The total volume of secondary sales exceeded 32k ETH (more than $51 million at the current exchange rate).
- Floor price is 0.59 ETH (about $950).
- Average sales range from 0.55 ETH to 1 ETH.
- The most expensive #1054 was sold on January 1, 2022 for 69.6969 ETH ($256k at the time of sale).
- Total 6,545 unique holders (65%). This shows the low chances of whales interconnection within the project. Thus, the risk of artificial project management from the inside is minimal.
- Only about 4% of the collection (435 pieces out of 10,001) are for sale, among them the offers range from 0.59 ETH to 6 ETH. This shows that almost all holders see the project as a great investment prospect and are not in a hurry to part with their assets at a lower price.
Data (including exchange rates) are given at the time of publication of the article (February 23, 2023)
Who Created DeadFellaz?
The authors of the collection are a husband and wife, known to the cryptocommunity under the pseudonym DeadFellaz which hides Psych @psych_nft and Betty @betty_nft. The couple resides in Australia. Betty, also called Horde Mother, has significant experience in creative agency. Her husband Psych has been working in the sphere of digital art for 14 years and is a member of Ultra DAO. The pseudonym Psych is in a way justified, as the artist is known for creating rather bright examples of psychedelic art.
For some time, the couple maintained complete anonymity and did not disclose their real names. In particular, Betty did so for safety reasons, as she wanted to protect herself and her three children from unnecessary attention. But after nine months of reticence, she finally decided to open up to the global community. This momentous event took place at the Veecon 2022 conference.
— Deadfellaz (@Deadfellaz) May 23, 2022
It is worth noting that the well-known contemporary artist Maddy Kenyon @maddy_paddy, the project’s lead specialist in 3D design, also took part in the development of the collection.
The rapid success of the DeadFellaz NFT should not be misleading. In fact, it was the result of long and careful preparation. For example, Betty took a long look at other projects on the market and could not find one with which she could express herself.
Because she, like her husband, was a big fan of the horror genre, she liked the idea of creating a project that would draw public attention to the strange cultural phenomenon surrounding zombies and other undead creatures.
There’s a fascination that’s run through all of time with the macabre and the spooky. This is how the co-owner Psych comments on the idea of the project
The authors of the collection hit the mark, as their brainchild has become one of the most sought-after PFP projects in the Web3 industry.
Why is DeadFellaz popular?
The main driver of popularity and demand for the DeadFellaz collection is the irrepressible energy and enthusiasm of its creators. They do their best to provide the maximum amount of benefits to the community members.
Here are the factors that contribute to the success of the collection:
- Celebrity involvement. On September 28, 2021, at the very beginning of the NFT collection’s journey, famous actor Elijah Wood bought DeadFellaz token #9821. Immediately thereafter, the project’s trading activity increased by 20%.
— 𝕽𝕺𝕸𝖇𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖉𝖙 🎨 (@evanodette) September 28, 2021
Among other celebrities, Gary Vaynerchuk, NFT influencer and CEO of Vayner Media, invested in DeadFellaz too. He bought his NFT on May 22, 2022.
- Merchandising product launches that attract the attention of community members and potential investors:
MERCH IS LIVE. THIS IS NOT A DRILL. 🧟♀️💣💥 https://t.co/ntrdyB4rso
— Deadfellaz (@Deadfellaz) January 27, 2022
- An unforgettable adventure experience in the metaverse. It is known that the project acquired 24 plots in the Decentraland metaverse, in which it founded its own realm Deadzone 13. You can get there only if you have at least one DeadFellaz token.
Development continues, but DeadZone 13 is almost ready for Halloween. We are so proud to transform the Deadfellaz world into an interactive metaverse experience for holders. There is so much coming. The first step of our adventure. pic.twitter.com/MFZf7yL2LK
— Deadfellaz (@Deadfellaz) October 26, 2021
- Steve Aoki was known to perform at Deadzone 13 during Halloween 2021, performing an exclusive set for DeadFellaz and Aoki NFT owners.
- Focus on community. In 2021, a “Songs of the Dead” contest was held in which the team asked participants to compose a song inspired by the DeadFellaz NFT collection. First place went to a composition by the artist Zaug @zaugofficial who received 3 ETH as a reward.
- It is also worth mentioning the successful experience of partnership with other brands:
- April 2022 marked the signing of a contract with United Talent Agency. The goal of the partnership was to secure IP rights in the areas of gaming, live events and merchandising.
- In the same month, the DeadFellaz project signed a deal with ski manufacturer Gilson. This allowed DFZ token holders to order a snowboard or ski with a character from the DeadFellaz collection.
We are live! Forge your @Deadfellaz x @gilsonsnow snowboards or skis here: https://t.co/fxgJoUmrRW
To learn more: https://t.co/MvxyXcOGID
Window to purchase closes 30/4 6pm EST 🧟♂️🏂 pic.twitter.com/F6DXrrsbxY
— Deadfellaz (@Deadfellaz) April 27, 2022
- The team has partnered with digital marketplace KnowOrigin to bring the work of artists from the DeadFellaz ecosystem to the commnunity’s attention.
- The project has also partnered with clothing brands Wrangler and neuno to create merch products.
Strengthening business relationships with major business representatives greatly contributes to the popularity of the DeadFellaz project and promises many benefits for community members.
The current project roadmap includes the following steps:
- Developing the DAO OF THE DEAD system. Its main task is to give token holders the opportunity to promote with intellectual property rights.
- Developing collaborations with similar brands to create an unforgettable adventure experience on platforms like The Sandbox. In this way, the team aims to show the power of the metaverse and make it easier for the DeadFellaz brand to enter the Web3 space.
— Deadfellaz (@Deadfellaz) October 1, 2021
- Educational work to provide community members with useful information regarding NFT security and the use of NFT best practices.
- Leverage the expertise of Web2 and Web3 professionals to continue to work on interoperable assets that will help spread the DFZ brand across all areas of digital and interactive technologies.
- Engage engineering and design professionals to modernize the digital presence of the brand and develop integrated technologies.
- Creation of a thriving environment for the community in which it can feel comfortable and derive all possible benefits from the development of the brand.
DeadFellaz has several child projects that complement the very atmosphere of the Horde in the community and bring variety and benefits to the owners of the main tokens.
DeadFellaz Infected S1
DeadFellaz Infected S1 is a collection of 186 NTFs consisting of 13 sets of zombies affected by various infections. This Halloween 2021 project featured 13 big-name artists, including such stars as Cool Cats, Ghxsts, etc.
To date, the volume of secondary sales has exceeded 260 ETH, and the floor price is 0.3 ETH.
DeadFellaz Infected S2
The DeadFellaz Infected S2 Collection features 83 DeadFellaz tokens designed by Psych and inspired by such artists as Yosnier @Yosnier_, Claire Silver @ClaireSilver12, The Haas Brothers @TheHaasBrothers, etc.
To date, the volume of secondary sales has exceeded 28 ETH, and the floor price is 0.44 ETH.
Betty Pop Horror
Betty Pop Horror is a collection of 225 NFTs representing Betty in various horror looks. To date, the volume of secondary sales has exceeded 280 ETH, and the floor price is 0.17 ETH.
In January 2022, a derivative collection Deadfrenz was released. In total, it includes 13,000 tokens depicting 13 different types of animals. Among them you can see a tiger, a bat, a snake, a toad, a lizard, a cat, etc. All holders of the initial tokens could start minting Deadfrenz for free.
How much are DeadFellaz worth?
After minting in August 2021, the project immediately became popular, judging upon the volume of secondary sales. And how are things now?
To visualize the price dynamics, we made a slice of the average price for 1 NFT:
- in September 2021 – 1.2 ETH,
- in January 2022 – 4 ETH,
- in April 2022 – 2 ETH,
- in June 2022 – 1.4 ETH,
- in September 2022 – 0.8 ETH,
- in December 2022 – 0.7 ETH.
Now (February 23, 2023) the minimum price is 0.59 ETH. On average, the latest sales are in the range of 0.55 to 1 ETH. And the total volume of secondary sales amounted to more than 32k ETH (about $51 million).
Most Expensive DeadFellaz Sales
The most expensive sales are led by the following NFTs from the DeadFellaz collection:
- #1054 was sold on January 1, 2022 for 69.6969 ETH ($256k at the time of sale),
- #9034 was sold on September 27, 2021 for 25 ETH ($76k at the time of sale),
- #5845 was sold on January 28, 2022 for 13.8 ETH ($35k at the time of sale),
- #1808 was sold on February 5, 2022 for 13 ETH ($39k at the time of sale).
Where to buy Deadfellaz?
Currently, Deadfellaz can only be purchased on the secondary market, on marketplaces such as OpenSea, X2Y2 and LooksRare.
How to buy Deadfallaz?
- Remember that initially you need to connect your crypto wallet with self-storage to the marketplace of your choice.
- Next, find the official collection using the search bar on the marketplace.
- Analyze and choose the NFT you want to buy; click on it and then on the “Buy” button.
- Or you can bet on the token you like. Make sure you leave enough ETH for gas or transaction fees. If the seller approves your bid, the deal goes through.
Should you invest in DeadFellaz?
No one can deny that the DeadFellaz collection is now at the peak of its popularity. A potential investor should pay attention to it, and here’s why:
- The project is based on zombie theme which has become an extremely popular trend of modern culture.
- The support of selebrities adds credibility to the NFT collection and can increase the value of tokens even more in the long run.
- The active involvement of the project authors in Web3 promises the community members a lot of experience and exciting adventures.
In any case, do your own in-depth analysis and research when investing in NFTs, and then make your own decision.
Opinion of NFTMetria
Despite its seemingly creepy nature, the DeadFellaz project has become a breath of fresh air and a powerful creative impulse for the NFT industry. The authors found a popular theme and created a whole digital universe of little zombies based on it, and it won over a lot of crypto enthusiasts. Today the DeadFellaz project, contrary to its name, is one of the most alive, fast-developing and promising projects in the NFT-space.