You may have heard that many celebrities and public figures are now entering the NFT field. Someone for hype, someone for the development of their creativity, someone for earnings. And someone is an ideological supporter of this trend. That’s exactly what the world-famous American rapper Snoop Dogg is. Yes, are you surprised? But he was one of the first in the media space to start investing first in crypto projects. And then he began to invest on a large scale in the NFT, creating a separate Cozomo de’ Medici profile for this. Moreover, the news that the collectible crypto wallet worth more than $ 18 million belongs to him, the influencer amazed the entire public.
Snoop Dogg has become a prominent figure in the global NFT community and any initiative he takes is always a huge success.
Who is Snoop Dogg?
Snoop Dogg is almost a household name in the world of show business, but we will still say a few words about how he came to such a result.
During his school years, he managed to show up in the police. And get sentences for possession and distribution of drugs, being in a gang of drug dealers. At the same time, he sang in the school choir, thus showing his first interest in music. In 1992, after prison, he recorded the first work, after which he was noticed by a relative, the famous musician and producer Dr. Dre. It was he who made it possible for the world to learn about the young rapper who personified an entire social class in America with his style. According to the stage image, he is not friends with the law. And what heights could he achieve by his 50 years?
- Record “Doggystyle” became the most anticipated album of 1993.
- In 1994, the rapper began his career as a film actor, however, mainly in the role of himself.
- In 1995 he founded his own recording studio Doggy Style Records.
- Signed to No Limit Records in 1998 and changed his name to Snoop Dogg.
- In 2004, for the first time in his career, the single “Drop It Like It’s Hot” topped the Billboard Hot 100.
- In the same 2004, he tried himself in the movie “Starsky and Hutch”. He also acted in films before. But it was thanks to this film that he received several Grammy awards.
- In 2006, he recorded two Grammy-winning songs.
- In 2018, the influencer received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- The rap artist is the author of several television shows: Doggy Fizzle Televizzle, Snoop Dogg’s Father Hood and Dogg After Dark, he has at his disposal an entire film company Snoopadelic Films. The rapper is also interested in women’s football and is a co-owner of the Los Angeles Rideretts football team.
- In addition to his musical career, the rapper has also become successful in business. Among his commercial projects are a brand of clothing and shoes, headphones, skateboards, cigars and even porn films.
- Married since the mid-90s to Shante Taylor. They are raising two children.
Snoop Dogg in numbers
- The annual income of the artist – more than 20 million dollars a year. The total fortune is estimated at more than $150 million.
- In 2013, the rapper claimed to smoke 81 times a day and even treated migraines with marijuana. Passion for marijuana has become part of the image of the artist.
- His crypto wallet Cozomo de’ Medici (@Cozomo_de_Medici) has over 3.9K NFTs and is valued at over $18 million.
- Instagram – over 75.7 million followers @snoopdogg.
- Twitter – over 20.3 million followers @SnoopDogg.
- YouTube – over 8.73 million subscribers @SnoopDoggTV.
- He has over 2.8 billion views on his YouTube channel.
Snoop Dogg in the world of cryptocurrency
Rapper is not only a media personality. It also invests fully and massively in various sectors of the Internet space and Web3.
I believe in bitcoin, in technology and in the global connections that they create. I’m not too keen on the value of the coin, because I invested for a long time so as not to notice how the rate goes up and down. Cryptocurrencies are with us for a long time, and the future is unfolding right now. I don’t think that these are the consequences of the pandemic, it just became a catalyst.
So, what can we tell about the influencer in the world of cryptocurrency?
- The influencer’s name was first associated with cryptocurrency in 2013. The singer posted a tweet where he offered to buy his new album X for bitcoins. At first, everyone thought that this was another joke of the rapper, but after retweets by BitPay and Coinbase, it became clear that the offer was quite real.
- In 2014, the rap icon invested $50 million in Reddit, which at the time valued the company at about $500 million. Today the platform is worth $15 billion.
- On February 8, 2021, thanks to a single tweet, the influencer raised the value of the Dogecoin cryptocurrency together with SpaceX founder Elon Musk and Kiss bassist Gene Simmons.
- He is also known for his private investments in fintech companies such as Robin Hood, Klarna and MoonPay.
Snoop Dogg in the Metaverse
The rapper also spent the past year digging into the metaverse. He recently partnered with The Sandbox metaverse to sell the Snoopverse Early Access Pass, which gives customers access to experiences in The Snoopverse, his own branded world on The Sandbox platform.
At the end of 2021, a piece of land was purchased next to the virtual property of the famous rapper. The investor, who apparently really wanted to be Snoop Dogg’s neighbor, paid for the purchased land using the local Sand token, spent 71,000 SAND – about $450,000.Interesting fact
Snoopverse’s LAND sale series – that’s the name of Snoop Dogg’s campaign – includes three tokens. One has already been sold for almost half a million dollars, the other two have left the auction in the hands of buyers at a price of 55,000 and 67,000 SAND. That is, $338,000 and $410,000, respectively.
At a much lower price, 122 standard LAND lots in the Snoop Dogg Virtual Estate area are also on sale for 1011 SAND. There are 67 more premium LANDs worth 4683 SANDs, each including three additional unique tokens as a bonus. Bonus NFTs are passes to the rapper’s private parties in the Sandbox metaverse.
Snoop Dogg in the NFT world
- In November 2021, the influencer released his first NFT “Decentralized Dogg” on the SuperRare. This is the fruit of his collaboration with artist Chris Cold. “Decentralized Dogg” looks like a 3D collage of 10 different portraits of the musician at different stages of his life. The exclusive soundtrack was composed by Snoop himself. The work was auctioned on the marketplace for the highest price of $771,000.
- In the spring of 2022, the artist announced that he, along with his son-collector ChampMedici and with the startup MOBLAND, decided to create farms in the metaverse for growing virtual marijuana. The project intends to promote the Grow-to-Earn concept. Twitch co-founder Justin Kang, Terra cryptocurrency co-founder Do Kwon, app developer Animoca Brands and other investors have already invested in it.
If it’s McDonald’s hamburger flipper, be the best hamburger flipper in the world. Whatever you do, you must master your craft. I have honed my craft for decades. My son showed me the importance of working with MOBLAND to implement the world’s first digital weed farms in the form of NFTs. There’s a paradigm shift going on here, and I want to be at the forefront of that process.Snoop Dogg explained
- In February 2022, the rapper announced plans to turn his Death Row Records into the first NFT label with artists active in the metaverse.
- In March 2022, he released a collection of NFTs on the Crypto.com marketplace.
- In April, he released the “Nyan Dogg” collection, co-authored with the creator of the Nyan Cat meme gif, Chris Torres.
- The influencer, along with his son Champ Medici, a crypto investor and NFT artist, launched an official partnership with Cardano-based NFT project Clay Nation in April 2022, providing Cardano with iconic claymation animations, land plots, and unlockable music content.
- In June 2022, Snoop Dogg and Eminem released a new song and video in collaboration with the famous Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT collection. In the video, the artists appeared in the form of animated monkeys. At the time of writing, the number of views on the official channel has exceeded 47 million.
In 2022, the organizers of the MTV Video Music Awards for the first time added the nomination “Best Performance in the Metaverse”. It nominated Justin Bieber, Rift Tour (with Ariana Grande) and Twenty One Pilots. Eminem and Snoop Dogg will perform at the awards ceremony with From The D 2 The LBC.Interesting!
- In June 2022, the rapper partnered with the Food Fighters Universe restaurant chain and announced concept NFT desserts that will be presented at the Bored & Hungry diner in Los Angeles. According to Snoop Dogg, the new concept will demonstrate to the world that non-fungible tokens can be “more than jeeps.”
Snoop Dogg and Cozomo de Medici
In September 2021, Snoop Dogg announced that he is the owner of the well-known crypto wallet and account Cozomo de’ Medici. The news shocked both the NFT and the hip-hop community. The fact is that at the time of publication of the article, the crypto wallet contains a collection of 3.9K different NFTs, including CryptoPunks, Meebits, XCOPY works, etc. So, we value this crypto wallet at more than $18 million and included it in the ranking of the best NFT-themed Twitter accounts.
The rapper created the Cozomo de’ Medici Twitter account in August 2021 and has since amassed over 267,000 Twitter followers. During this time, he has been publicizing his NFT investments. Also, he demonstrats deep subject matter expertise and support for many of the trends in the community.
- Over the past year, the influencer has also acquired Cryptopunks worth between 850 ETH and 50 ETH ($2.7 million-$50k).
- And he bought several Meebits at prices ranging from 180 ETH to 169 ETH (580 thousand dollars – 551 thousand dollars).
In addition to high-profile NFTs from well-known collections, there are generative images in his portfolio. Among them:
- components of the NFT “Fragments of the Infinite Field” by the artist Monica Rizzolli, sold on the Art Blocks marketplace.
- In September 2021, for 1,300 ETH (about $3.8 million at the time of purchase), the rapper bought XCOPY‘s artwork “Some Asshole”.
- In December 2021, he bought XCOPY’s “Right-click and Save As guy” for a record 1600 ETH (at the exchange rate at that time over $7 million).
Opinion about the cryptocurrency and NFT market
Snoop Dogg believes that the ongoing cryptocurrency bear market has eliminated participants who abused the industry’s opportunities. A well-known musician believes that the niche of digital assets is a “great” sector. And he sooner or later will rise to its feet.
The rapper supplemented this with the opinion that over the course of many years, each industry experienced hard times – alcohol, tobacco, clothing, food. For this reason, he predicts the recovery of the cryptocurrency market.
The rapper especially singles out NFTs, which, according to him, will create huge opportunities for music studios.
I know [NFT] have a great opportunity to make it in music because sooner or later the labels will have to step in. Sooner or later the labels will have to deal with it. They will have to come home, sit down at the table and realize that the catalogs and things they own are better served on the blockchain.
For more than 30 years of his career, the rap artist has repeatedly proved that he knows how to seize the moment. Whether he’s topping the charts, dining with Martha Stewart, or co-headlining the Super Bowl, his tractor business demonstrates that he has the ability to keep up with the times, no matter how obscure it may be.
It seems that his flair helps both in crit projects and in the NFT world. Thanks to his power of words, now Snoop’s investments will clearly be monitored and analyzed by his transactions. Therefore, on the wave of hype, it is probably worth waiting for the launch of another NFT collection or the launch of a new project from the artist.