The popularity of NFT and its possibilities left no artist or creative person on the planet indifferent. Some were afraid, some resisted, but the real people of art, such as Takashi Murakami, make real masterpieces with it. In his career, this Japanese contemporary artist stood out for his non-trivial vision and approach which he implemented in his Murakami.Flowers Official collection.
Here are a couple of facts about this project:
- Prominent author with a tremendous track record,
- The collection was released when the Japanese artist was 61,
- The unique style of token execution, Superflat; it is based on flat elements and Japanese pop culture;
- The collection earned the artist the title of the best real artist who moved to NFT.
Murakami.Flowers Official Official Links
- Official website https://murakamiflowers.kaikaikiki.com
- Twitter @MFTMKKUS – over 119k readers,
- Instagram @murakami.flower2022 – over 139k subscribers.
What is Murakami.Flowers Official?
Murakami.Flowers Official is a collection that consists of 11,664 NFTs with different colors and rarities. The project is based on the Bonshō principle.
The start of the project was scheduled for March 7, 2022. The sale of tokens was divided into several stages, as well as the distribution of tokens:
- The first lucky ones who could buy NFTs from Takashi’s collection were the token holders of the Clone X project which was created in collaboration between the artist and RTFKT. This project was a real discovery in the NFT world for Takashi Murakami. 3,000 tokens have been reserved for Clone X holders. The cost of tokens for them was 0.0727 ETH.
All Murakami Drip Clones are whitelisted for @takashipom Murakami Flowers NFT drop 🌸
— RTFKT (@RTFKT) March 3, 2022
- 1,000 pieces have been distributed to friends, family and users from the artist’s whitelist.
- 6,751 tokens were sold to the general public at auctions and online platforms through a public sale.
- Takashi kept 727 tokens for a “special giveaway”. The artist considers 727 his lucky number, so he saved them for a special occasion.
- 78 varieties of his signature colors, such as “Zen Number Proof”, and 108 images of Murakami. The flowers representing “Bonnō Proof” (the number 108 denotes earthly temptations) were released later, “when the time was right”.
It is also interesting that the artist has limited the purchase of tokens for users, setting the rule of 1 token per 1 wallet.
Murakami.Flowers Official in numbers
- A collection of 11664 tokens was launched on March 7, 2022.
- At minting, the cost of the token was divided for different categories of buyers. For owners of CLONE X the cost was 0.0727 ETH, and the public sale cost 0.108 ETN.
- The number of tokens (11,664) is not accidental. According to Bonshō principles, the number 108 has a deep philosophical meaning. And here, the maths is simple: 108*108 = 11,664.
- The project is ranked 35th among the best collections in terms of sales of all time on the largest NFT marketplace OpenSea.
- Total secondary sales exceeded 49k ETH (over $83m at the current exchange rate).
- Floor price is 0.75 ETH (about $1,300).
- Average sales range from 0.7 ETH to 1.5 ETH.
- The most expensive #9125 was sold on May 4, 2022 for 100 ETH ($294k at the time of sale).
- Total 5,696 unique holders (57%). This shows the low chances of whales interconnection within the project. Thus, the risk of artificial project management from the inside is minimal.
- Only about 6% of the collection (557 pieces out of 10,000) are for sale, among them the offers range from 0.75 ETH to 8 ETH. This shows that almost all holders see the project as a great investment prospect and are not in a hurry to part with their assets at a lower price.
Data (including exchange rates) are given at the time of publication (February 20, 2023)
Who created Murakami.Flowers Official?
The Murakami.Flowers Official collection was created by Takashi Murakami, a famous artist from Japan. He was famous long before he immersed himself in digital art and released his Murakami.Flowers Official token collection.
The track record of the creator is impressive:
- He’s been in the art business for a long time (he’s currently 61), and his first public appearance was back in 1989, at the exhibition “New Works, Cafe Tiens!” in Tokyo, Japan.
- Takashi is the founder of Kaikai Kiki Co which has been operating for almost 20 years. Now Kaikai Kiki promotes young Japanese artists, organizes creative events and produces art objects.
- During his work, the artist has been to various world exhibitions and auctions, including Gagosian Gallery, Gallery KOTO, Rockefeller Center, Museum of Modern Art (New York), Museum für Moderne Kunst (Frankfurt) and many others.
- Since 2002, Takashi has worked with various brands and superstars like G-Dragon, Pharrell Williams, Billy Eilish, Kanye West and Louis Vuitton.
- Working with RTFKT studio on the Clone X NFT project brought him not only additional fame, but also invaluable experience. The artist and his work instantly became hits among the fans of the project. Any Murakami Drip Clones became instantly popular giving the owner a chance to get on the whiteList for future drops of the Murakami.Flowers Official collection.
- In 2022, Takashi held the exhibition Gagosian x Takashi Murakami on Madison Avenue in New York. There he presented his work, namely flowers from the collection. For the artist, it became a kind of bridge between the virtual world and the real one.
- On June 20, 2022, as part of the famous ApeFest from Bored Ape Yacht Club in New York, artist won “Highest Volume Collection from Asia” and “The Best Real Artist Who Moved to NFT” titles for his flower collection.
Murakami.Flowers Official Idea
The success of CLONE X, created in collaboration with RTFKT, inspired Murakami to create his own project.
Thanks to the cooperation, I gained a lot of knowledge and still learn a lot from them. The artist said back then.
He used his signature style, combining it with pixel art. That’s how the Murakami collection came to be. Flowers Official. But it’s not that simple. When choosing the number of tokens, the author was guided by Bonshō as a reference and his intention to pay a tribute to culture and tradition.
Bonshō are huge bells that are an important attribute of Japanese culture. They are used in monasteries and temples to summon monks to services. In this case, the number 108 means the number of earthly temptations. And during the holidays, the monks ring the bell 108 times to expel all 108 temptations from those who come to the service.
Here is why the collection of the author consists of 11,664 tokens, as 108*108 = 11,664.
It is worth saying that the collection, being based on deep meaning, fashionable pixel art and prominent name of the creator, immediately gained popularity.
Why is Murakami.Flowers Official popular?
The Murakami.Flowers Official collection appeared in 2021 and caused a sensation, as did many of the author’s other works. No one expected that this master would decide to break into the NFT industry so quickly.
The collection was an instant success with the audience, not only because it was done in his signature style, but also because it was a symbol that erased all the lines between mass culture and exclusive paintings, between rough, simple pop art and sophisticated and refined “high” creativity.
Undoubtedly, the reputation of Murakami.Flowers Official was influenced by the name of the master. It is just impossible to deny it. The way he presented and implemented it, left no one indifferent due to his unique style.
The author plans the further development of his own metaverse, despite his senior age.
This is how the author shows his vision of the metaverse as a space where he could work, communicate and interact with the community and his employees, as well as implement his ideas.
Murakami.Flowers Official Roadmap
The project does not have a roadmap in the usual sense of the word. Everything depends on the creativity and ideas of the artist.
But it has already been announced that there will be the release of a game in the near future. It is not yet clear what kind of game it will be, but according to the author himself, it will have its own LCD monitor. So we can assume that it will be something portable and inspired by pop culture, an analogue of the Gameboy or Tamagotchi.
At the same time, the artist worked with other collections, projects and fashion houses, and continued to promote the concept of his first collection Murakami.Flowers Official in the real world. Among other things, Takashi is thinking about how his collection can be used for arranging meetings of the community members.
Murakami.Flowers Official Ecosystem
The artist notes that the art world is a unique ecosystem that has no analogues. It is different from all the others in the world, like economic one, commercial one, and so on.
It is a cultural synthesis and marketplace with a huge scale of its own. This is how Takashi characterizes the digital art market
Therefore, he aims to link together the art market, the digital world and the DAO. And at the head of all integration and symbiosis is, of course, the community which is devoted and loyal to him. So the artist also pays tribute to them in the form of a drop.
Murakami Lucky Cat NFT Collection
The Murakami Lucky Cat collection of 10.4k NFTs was launched on June 14, 2022. At that time, 5,616 token holders of the Murakami.Flowers Official collection received 1 token each. The collection has now been renamed Murakami Lucky Cat Coin Bank, with about 4.7k tokens left, and the rest have been burned for the Lucky Cat Coin Bank Feeding Game. To date, secondary sales have exceeded 2.2k ETH, and the floor price is 0.12 ETH.
How much do Murakami.Flowers Official NFTs cost?
At the time of launch in March 2022, the mint was divided into 2 stages in terms of price:
- Whitelist Presale: 0.0727 ETH,
- Public Sale: 0.108 ETH
The market was interested in the project at once. And how are things now?
To visualize the price dynamics, we made a slice of the average price for 1 NFT:
- in June 2022: 3.6 ETH,
- in September 2022: 1.3 ETH,
- in December 2022: 1 ETH.
Now (February 20, 2023) the minimum price is 0.75 ETH. On average, the latest sales range from 0.7 to 1.5 ETH. And the total volume of secondary sales amounted to more than 49k ETH (about $83 million).
The Most Expensive Sales of Murakami.Flowers Official
The most expensive sales are led by the following NFTs from the Murakami.Flowers Official Collection:
- #9125 was sold on May 4, 2022 for 100 ETH ($294k at the time of sale),
- #0918 was sold on May 5, 2022 for 89 ETH ($261k at the time of sale),
- #10183 was sold on May 4, 2022 for 55.5 ETH ($163k at the time of sale),
- #9326 was sold on May 4, 2022 for 55.3 ETH ($163k at the time of sale).
Where to buy Murakami.Flowers Official?
Currently, Murakami.Flowers Official can only be purchased on the secondary market, on marketplaces such as OpenSea, X2Y2 and LooksRare.
How to buy Murakami.Flowers Official?
- Remember that initially you need to connect your crypto wallet with self-storage to the marketplace of your choice.
- Next, find the official collection using the search bar on the marketplace.
- Analyze and choose the NFT you want to buy; click on it and then on the “Buy” button.
- Or you can bet on the token you like. Make sure you leave enough ETH for gas or transaction fees. If the seller approves your bid, the deal goes through.
Should you invest in Murakami.Flowers Official?
Murakami.Flowers Official is a unique project by the legendary artist Takashi Murakami. It’s like Vincent van Gogh would release his collection of NFT works.
In addition to the legendary name, the project, of course, has other attractive investment advantages:
- A limited number of tokens that are stable in price.
- A unique cultural background for the creation of the collection, which is not unimportant for art connoisseurs. The creation of the tokens is based on the concept of Bonshō.
- Takashi regularly makes drops for holders of the collection. Owning a token from the Murakami.Flowers Official series, the user will receive new tokens from the artist’s future projects before others or have a guaranteed place on the whitelist in the future.
- The artist’s plans to create video games and a metaverse will increase the cost of tokens in the future. After all, the author is going to create a complex ecosystem where all his projects will be combined with Murakami.Flowers Official.
In any case, do your own in-depth analysis and research when investing in NFTs, and then make your own decision.
Opinion of NFTmetria
Takashi Murakami is an amazing artist. He has devoted his whole life to art and instantly picked up the trend of working with NFT, despite his senior age.
The artist created the collection in his unique author’s style which was formed over the years. The collection is a reflection of the artist’s worldview, because it combines not only traditional Japanese fine art (to which Takashi devoted his university studies), but also all his experience as a professional, which he gained in the West, traveling with exhibitions and studying the culture peculiarities of these countries. The Murakami.Flowers Official collection is not just 11,664 flower tokens. It’s a sublimation of Takashi’s years of experience, the blending of cultures, styles, and art features. This collection is a phenomenon. And because of such a rich background, history, and creative way behind its creation, the project will always be valued in creator and collector circles.